Patrick Mau aka Maupower is a Torres Strait independent business owner and Entrepreneur. He developed a passion for entertainment at the very young age of 12 years old. Over a journey he has turned his passion into a career pathway. The result is the first Torres Strait owned Independent Record distribution label, film production and Media company to operate out of the region.
In the early years of the career he worked effortlessly to create opportunities of getting into the music industry. This saw him build his own “home recording studio” on Horn Island. Since following his passion in 1996 he has produced (7) mix-tapes, featured on (2) compilation, Released a Solo album; Had his music featured on film and television projects and toured Nationally and internationally.
In film Patrick has produced documentaries and music videos for broadcasting networks like NITV/SBS, ABC and online platforms. Patrick also has produced a range of promotional and corporate films for health and educational organisations through his production company.
Patrick stepped into the role as a producer in 2012 through the NITV “Our Stories” RRE initiatives for emerging film makers, since then he has gained experience though participating in various projects and attachments. In 2015 he was selected as one of the emerging indigenous film producers to be a part of the Screen Australia Indigenous Producers Initiative (IPI).
Patrick is the Founder and Executive Director of O.B.H.I. companies; “One Blood Hidden Image Entertainment Group” & “OBHI Films”. – https://au.linkedin.com/in/patrick-mau-33b24a35
With a proud heritage from the Dhoebaw Clan of the Guda Maluilgal nations, Mau Power is the first rapper to emerge out of the Torres Strait and break out on the Australian music scene. Born, raised & still living in the Aylans’ (Islands), he is as Torres Strait as they come.
It is the art of story telling that embodies the connection of two cultures that makes Mau Power a truly unique Australian artist with universal appeal.
Fresh off a standout London Show, Represent Australia as a delegate at the Festival of Pacific Arts in Guam, a national tour, a performance at the incredible Soul Fest, & an International Songwriting Competition (ISC) Award it is safe to say Mau Power has been doing great things in recent times. Add to this he had his music has been played on industry icons such as Rage & triple J, He has shot two brilliant videos, one shot on location on TI & the other alongside Indigenous legends Archie Roach & Albert David, He has been running workshops, played countless shows. Indeed Mau Power & his team have been on fire in recent times, And the plan is for him to only get bigger, better & to continue to write moving music & to respresent his people & culture on a global scale.
In recent times Mau Power has performed at countless shows across the country, as well as in London and Guam. He completed his first national (east coast) tour to celebrate the release of his Island Home Single & Video.
Other Performances Include:
• Yalukit Festival Melbourne 2017
• St Kilda Festival 2017
• Recognise Australia Gala Event Sydney 2016
• Soul Fest | Mau Power played at this prestigious event, sharing the stage with & supporting acts like Common, Mos Def Maxwell, D’Angelo, Angie Stone, Aloe Black & many more
• APRA/AMCOS Event Sydney 2016
• Recognise Australia Gala Event Sydney 2016
• Raintrees Tavern Cairns 2016
• Big Tok One Fire Cairns 2016
• Festival Of Pacific Arts in Guam 2016 (Australian Delegate)
• Australia Day performance on “The Rocks” Sydney 2016
• Produced and performed in the “Sing Strong” Theatre show Cairns 2015
• National Tour (East Coast)
• London show – First Nations Festival
• Played with a 120 piece orchestra at the G20 Cultural Summit
• Yabun festival – His performance was also played on national TV
• St. Kilda festival 2015 – performed on the closing day
• Mabo Day Celebrations in Melbourne
• Supported Hip Hop great O.C
• Supported the legendary A.G
• Played at Zulu Nation Australia 9 year anniversary
• The Long Walk 10 Year Anniversary at the Myer Music Bowl
• Express Yourself – A TV performance for an NITV & SBS exclusive
• Headlined UMI Arts 2014
• Played at Big Fire One Talk 2014
• Played at CIAF 2014
• He was also interviewed on Triple J’s Hip Hop show as a featured artist
• Interviewed on Triple J’s Unearthed, performed live on Radio National, & appeared on many other TV & radio interviews.
• Videos played on Rage